Tuesday, June 9, 2009

WOAH!!!!



It is a glorious day, and you know I'm devoted to do you, because the beach is calling me. I suppose I have had my fare share of beach enjoyment here. I start bike riding from Barceloneta to Rio de Besos (I think that is its name). It isn't too far on a map, but MAN are there some hills. What I love abotu bike riding here is that people actually use those little 'ding-ding' bells on the bikes. I might abuse mine, but it's okay because there's a lot of pedestrian traffic. We rode though the olympic area the other day and they were having, well I don't remember because I don't speak english anymore, but with like dirtbikes on big dirty hills getting dirty and crashing. I guess I would've thought that would only be in America.
My beach time this weekend was rudely interrupted by school work, yechhh. My first exam is on the 18th so I've begun organizing my notes, no small task for an art history course. The other two are on the 25th, and as of now, far less daunting. I also I have this online chemistry course, to fulfill the core requirement at BC. It is extremelly weird doing studd (ie elementary chemistry) that I did in high school, but the plus is that I remember some of it....and OWNED my quiz. Yes, the quiz was open-book, but I still owned it.
Enough academics. I made the most delicious dinner the other night, and I mean gourmet, italics and all. I was determined to prove my cooking talents to my friend who never lets me help with dinner, or they pretend to let me help. Let's just say I wash a lot of dishes and chop a lot of veggies (if even that). First things first-the sangria. I used slightly fruity red wine (and no, Im not an expert.. it said that on the label and I know i dont like dry or over fruity), then I added lots of oranges, lemons, limes, oj and some cointreau that my friend had. The chicken breasts marinated over night in an orange/lemon/carrot juice, cointreau, olive oil, lots of orange slices, and some salt and pepper. The salad was simply red pepper, onion, orang chunks, and goat cheese. I 'made' a salad dressing-oj, red wine vinager, olive oil, salt/pepper.....nothing too fancy, but it was perfect. Perhaps even better than the salmon I've made here, it was so dleicious, also because it was extremely hot out and cirtus just equals summer.
What doesn't equal summer is smoke. Jen, I have some bad news, there's been a loss....you housewarming dishtowel has-how can i put this-expired. I tried to cook my dish towel this morning, it was pretty traumatic. I was boiling water for oatmeal and aparently both cook tops were on. The moral of the story, universities in the US are correct in banning hot plates. All the sudden the towel was smoldering, and i mean like with little bits of fire, but my quick thinking fire safety skills saved me, thank god for elementary school. I tossed the towel in the sink and turned the water on, but judging by my new chemistry skills on carbon monoxide, I think the smoke was at harmful levels. Now, now now..... it wasn't actually dangerous, but jiminy, it was a bit intense. My room just loves natural disasters, fires, floods....ok, that's it. I had like three calls from the office telling me to open my window. Here is a picture of the carnage.Hello, duh I opened my window.
My paper chain countdown is getting scarily short. What am I gonna do without my Barcelona? ohhh, I know....buffalo chicken. But I'll still miss my favorite family of ducklings that lives in the park across from me. I may or may not miss the homeless people with pets, no matter how endearing their bond is.




Me voy!! besitos

No comments:

Post a Comment